Dive Bombing Method in the Ju-88
These are the actual instructions from the historical Fl Üb 8-179/4 manual.
(Traditional method with “Dive Automation”)
- Close radiator.
- Set propeller pitch to 100% (Auto).
- Set bombsight speed to estimated drop speed (can also adjust during dive).
- Set bombsight altitude (for example 1000m).
- Center trim (on Ju88 red marks).
- Press Divebrake button (this will also trim plane to dive).
- Set power to idle (0%).
- Take aim with ring in top part of the sight. Also take note of the dive bombing marker (“Krawatte”) below the ring on the vertical line.
- Hold target in the ring until you hear the drop altitude warning buzzer.
- Pull up so that the dive bombing marker becomes superimposed on the target. Hold steady for a moment.
- Press the bomb release button (this will also initiate the pull-out by centering the trim again).
- Press the divebrake button again to raise the brakes up.
- Apply power slowly to avoid overspeeding the engines.
- Open the radiator and adjust prop pitch for cruise, if necessary.